A new semester is upon us and with it, new opportunities to get involved on campus. There are hundreds of organizations at UConn to cater to all interests. Why not consider getting involved with a student organization that focuses on feminist issues this semester? Here are a few to consider:
- UConn National Organization for Women (UConn NOW) meets weekly to discuss feminist topics and plan awareness events. They focus on a wide range of subjects, from the gender pay gap to female sexuality. For more information on UConn NOW, visit www.facebook.com/UConnNOW or email uconnNOW@gmail.com.
- Students United for Reproductive Justice is a group that works for cultural and legislative change regarding reproductive freedom. Topics include abortion, birth control access, assistance for mothers, and sexual health. For more information, visit facebook.com/uconnSURJ or email uconnSURJ@gmail.com.
- Revolution Against Rape (RAR) fights rape culture through awareness events, protests, and education. They also work with other organizations to combat other kinds of violence, such as police brutality. You can contact RAR at uconnRAR@gmail.com or visit facebook.com/uconnRAR.
- Triota Women’s Studies Honors Society is an organization for students who demonstrate academic excellence and have taken at least 6 credits of WGSS classes. Their three components are scholarship, service, and activism. Find out more by emailing email@example.com.
- Rubyfruit is an all-female A Capella group formed in 1999 to promote female empowerment through music. They perform multiple times per semester. For information on auditions, visit facebook.com/uconnrubies or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- She’s The First UConn raises money to educate girls in developing countries to give them the opportunity to be the first high school graduates in their families. To learn more, visit facebook.com/STF.UConn or email email@example.com.
- You can also consider taking on a Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies minor! Some of my favorite classes have been WGSS courses, and they also offer an internship program in which students can gain experience, plus it looks great on a resume. Visit wgss.uconn.edu to find out more.