How is it already mid-October? Time flies when you’re slaving over exams, I suppose. Anyway, it’s time to get into the festive Halloween spirit. You’re probably like, “But I’m a FEMINIST! None of the costumes I can find at the store appeal to me because I think it is wrong to objectify women!” Have no fear. There are plenty of (better) costumes that you can make by hand while making a point. Here’s a few feminist costume ideas for you to try at home.
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- Princess Mononoke
- Leslie Knope
- A character from Orange is the New Black
- The Patriarchy
- A radical social activist
- Xena, Warrior Princess
That’s just to name a few. But we all know Halloween isn’t only about costumes. October is well-known to be the best month for watching horror movies. How about some horror that makes a statement? Try one of these selections:
- Jennifer’s Body: Jennifer (Megan Fox) is kidnapped by a group of devil-worshipers and sacrificed, and she gets revenge by luring men to her then murdering and eating them with her new demonic powers.
- Carrie: The original, of course. No remake will do. In this movie, Carrie uses her supernatural powers to defy her ultra-religious mother and punish her high school bullies.
- Cabin in the Woods: This movie is kind of a satire on Evil Dead II type movies. It makes fun of the overt sexuality seen from many young horror movie characters and has a crazy twist ending.
Enjoy your Halloween, however you choose to celebrate it!